A nose by any other name..

Thursday, July 10, 2008

....would work just as smell!

"I wish my hair was thicker, and I wish my feet were prettier. My toes are really ugly. I wish my ears were smaller. And my nose could be smaller too."
~Britney Spears


Yup, I couldnt agree with her more. The nose. Yes, that is what this post is all about. No writeup about noses can be complete without a mention of "THE nose" aka as Cleopatra, isnt it? In his Pensées, philosopher Blaise Pascal contends that Cleopatra's classically beautiful profile changed world history: "Cleopatra's nose, had it been shorter, the whole face of the world would have been changed."

That is how historians have managed to preserve and extol the virtues of perfect noses. In short, it means my nose will never make it to the annals of history. Sad as that may be, Rhinoplasty isnt an option I want to consider. I neither have the money to afford it nor the time to spend in reclusivity while the new nose takes shape(literally and figuratively speaking). And who knows if I will be the same person when I get a new nose! Apart from having an unshapely nose that which I am not very proud of, I am thankful I dont have some of the nose woes referred to here. Thank God for small mercies!

I leave you with a small nose related anecdote. As y'all can see I've been hanging out at this website for way too long.

"It was my mother who discovered my nose," Bob Hope once recalled. 'Call back the doctor,' she cried, 'He's taken the baby and left the stork!'

6 mint(s) of wisdom:

I love Lucy said...

My paternal ajji used to always say that I have the perfect nose and I of course believed her in all sincerity.Irrespective of the fact that no one has ever voluntarily complimented me on my "perfect" nose.

Gauri said...

Altoid Altoid !! Tsk Tsk !!

First your voice, now the nose ..... what comes next ? :P

Usha said...

What is wrong with your nose - seemd perfectly alright to me? but MINE - well that is a totally different story. If I had a wish to alter one thing about myself it would have to be the shape of my nose.
Now you've got me thinking of my nose and I can't get it out of my head and I am miserable!

SK said...

:--D
Unfair no, for some to get perfect noses, while some are not so fortunate ;--)

Altoid said...

ILL : My paternal ajji just chose to ignore the ignominy of my unshapely nose :D

G : hmm since you ask :P, I still have to write about my woes with my ears, the imperfect teeth etc etc. Yes, long list!

Usha : You're being too nice :P

SK : very very unfair!

Anonymous said...

i think my nose is too small and my ears are also too small :(

;'(