The most popular boy in fiction

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

"We've not had television," said William triumphantly.

"Well, we couldn't have that."

"I bet we could," persisted William. "I've seen it an' it's only people's heads carryin' on-actin' an' suchlike-in a little hole. I bet we could easy make a little hole an' have our heards in it, actin' an' suchlike."

~Excerpt from the story 'A Question of Exchange' from "William, the Dictator" by Richmal Crompton.

:), Cute isnt it? Imagine a time when TV wasnt around. What did kids do to entertain themselves? Think of all the imaginative ways they devised to while time. And who better but the Outlaws to come up with innovative ideas?

What?? What have you come to Altoid?, you ask? Yes, the William series of books by Richmal Crompton is for young adults. Many years ago, a relative of ours, on one of her visits, bought me a couple and since then I have been hooked. Within the next few months I'd devoured every one of the 38 books written by this author. And after all these years, I can never say no to a re-read.

Whilst I am here, I seem to have lost my appetite for reading. I have tried to goad myself with some new releases, classics and the like. Finally I found my calling. Yes, re-reading the William series! With such a temperamental and mischeivous school boy as William and his band of staunch followers, together forming the Outlaws, their tales of excitement and adventure, their exploits, the trouble-making...what an endearing character! While I can never imagine the plight of parents with kids such as William, these books are a delightful read. The wonderful characters of the William books are thus : Violet Elizabeth, the girl with a lithp; Hubert Lane and his cohorts-adversaries to the Outlaws; Robert- Wiliam's older brother with a roving eye; Ethel- William's older sister, who'd much prefer to disown her kid brother; Archie-the scatterbrain adult in the neighbourhood, the only "adult" William can relate to...and the Outlaws themselves comprising of George, Henry, Douglas and of course, William.

Overheard!As I pack yet another William book into my bag to accompany Amma to the doctor's.

Amma - "Can you please not come out in public with a William book in your hand? Its weird to have a grown up daughter reading a children's book, people look at you strange!"

Me - :(

Footnote : I believe this was one of the reasons I used to frequent Usha's blog, cos some time ago, her blog header/template had a picture of William(isnt it, Usha?).

2 mint(s) of wisdom:

Serendipity said...

The only other person I like better than William would be Violet Elizabeth Bott! "pleeth William , can I come too ? Elth I shalth sthcream and sthcream ..."
:))

Sukhaloka said...

Oooh, now I know what to take to Delhi apart from my Freud! The Williams on my shelf been lying neglected for sooo long :)