These bling blings

Friday, May 08, 2009

I thrive on dangling earrings and own a veritable collection of them in various colors and unusual beads and formations. Some of my friends look at them with disdain and exclaim "Why spend so much money on fake jewelry? You're better served investing in gold." Now when was the last time you heard of someone cashing out their gold ornaments?

So anyway, some years ago a special friend of mine started making bead jewelry. And what was cool was the fact that she took custom orders. Every time I bought a new dress or blouse I'd send her a pic of it and the next time I went to visit her...I would get a custom made jewelry set complete with dangling earrings and a bracelet. And that is how I have been able to own this delightful collection.

Some years later, she packed bags and moved to India. I don't believe she has continued her bead jewelry making projects, but I still wear her creations and every time I do, I recall fondly of the time she designed them for me.

Its been a long time and they're still there, serving me in their own colorful ways. Just last week I got an email from her. She tells me she and her family plan on coming to the US for a vacation. She also mentions they will be touring the North-East coast and that they plan on being in my area. 'Hopefully we get to meet and catch up' she says.

Yes, I hope so too. Its weird how such little things make for such strong bonds, bonds that bring back a torrent of warm memories. I am not sure if an equivalent gold collection could evoke such sentiments. So S, I definitely look forward to meeting you....you need to know how well your creations have served me.

3 mint(s) of wisdom:

Sands said...

dangling earrings are the best. This brings back memories 'coz most of the ones I own are made by my sister. I would love to have someone do custom jewelry like your friend. But now my daughter Meg is getting good at it :) So maybe in a few years!!

Serendipity said...

:) Gold? Really?Nothing can be as delightful as wooden bangles , beads,stones,wood?!

DotThoughts said...

how totally delightful!!!