You know what they say are the three most important factors for buying property..location, location and location. We've lived right around the corner from one of the biggest landmarks of South Bangalore- Lalbagh. No tour of Bangalore is complete without a visit to this green wonderland- a veritable treasure trove of greenery, birds, serenity and calmness. Its the Central Park of Bangalore. And I'd be lying if I said we've never taken it for granted. One fails to appreciate beauty when its so easily accessible.
One of my favorite to-dos when I am back home is go for morning walks to Lalbagh. Come walk with me today, wont you?..as I show you some of my favorite sights and experiences. I am told Lalbagh runs to 240 acres- yes its definitely that vast. Its also a botanist's delight with its wide collection of plants. There's also an extensive sighting of birds. Its also an exercise lover's paradise. Be it walking, jogging, laughter club, exercises or yoga- you find all age groups congregate here for their morning exercise fix. There are so many trails that you could pick a different one every day and still never finish them all. Oh and if you don't own an audio device to plug away into your ears, don't fret. This place is not about to each his own. Everyone brings mini-radios and tunes to their favorite FM channels- so from devotional music to latest hindi film songs, to kannada film hits to the latest news- you'll be able to catch a smattering of all this and more as you trudge along. There's the lake, around which is my favorite trail. Its no surprise I love walking around the Tidal Basin in Washington DC. I get my love for them from these humble roots.
In one corner of the trail, on the lake, is this beautiful sprouting of lotus flowers. The quintessential lotus, India's national flower. In another section is the glass house. My earliest memories of this spot are of the Jaycees open-air drawing/painting competitions. Children of varying ages from different schools all sprawled across the expanse of the glass house immersed in creating their works of art.
Since its the utopia for botanists, nature healing cures abound. Commercialism has made its presence undeniably felt in the many vendors that haunt the gates of Lalbagh with various cures, fruit juices and mixes. Vegetable vendors capitalize on the "aunty" population that walks in the park, there's methi and palak and coriander and kadi patta to be sold for the day's cooking.
As one walks, the sounds that greet you along the way are varied- snippets of conversations are overheard, the cheerful chirping of birds, the distant strain of laughter club voices or the quiet of the lake and trees and foliage. A botanical getaway every morning, without fail.
So whatcha think? Worth waking up at 5 every morning? Wanna do it again tomorrow?
The many walks of life
Wednesday, December 17, 2008Posted by Altoid at 5:46 AM
Labels: bhai green, Ghar ghar ki kahani series
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 mint(s) of wisdom:
Oh yes ! It's definitely worth setting the alarm clock for the wee hours of the morn :)
Beautiful :) - Lalbagh, I mean ! :)
What a way to begin the day - soaking in the sights of lush greenery, the chitter chatter of birds, the early morning dewdrops glistening on the flowers and leaves ...... ok - I better stop - I'm rambling .... and if this is what the pictures of Lalbagh are doing to me .... what exactly would happen if I were "there" ?!
Long ago... I was in B'lore when I visited the beautiful Lalbagh. I am glad the many changes to B'lore havne't ruined the natural beuty of this place.
Good photos BTW.
Post a Comment