This year I got a chance to be involved, directly or indirectly, for the first time in some of these walks for a cause.
A friend of mine had signed up for the breast cancer- 3-day walk. 60 miles in 3 days. So I volunteered for this, though what I really wanted to do was to see for myself if I was up to signing up for it next year.
And the other two walks were small ones. 2 miles and 3 miles each. It really wasnt about how far one had to walk- these experiences really go to show the unifying harmony that comes about. There are people that show up for a variety of reasons-some due to personal experiences, some due to the largesse of their hearts, some to cheer for cheering's sake, some to support a loved one, some just because they can and want to. They volunteer to apply bandaids on many a blister, to hand out water and popsicles, to deliver lunch packets, to direct the walkers, to say gentle words of encouragement, to shout out to cheer the sagging spirits.
The walkers themselves come from all walks of life(pun intended). But their spirit is unified for a cause. It doesnt matter who you are or what you do and where you're from. At that point in time, you're all in one place for one cause. And that is the power of masses.
So remember those occassional times when you feel down and have that eerie feeling of being left to yourself and you feel that no one cares for you? Well, when you do find yourself in such a situation, just for kicks go check out one of these events. As an innocent bystander. I can assure you will come back feeling different. Many a time in these past two weekends, I have found a wetness in my eyes as I walked or ran a chore. I've been overwhelmed by the human spirit.
I felt the touch of divinity-up, close and personal.
"We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men; and among those fibers, as sympathetic threads, our actions run as causes, and they come back to us as effects."
~Herman Melville
All walks of life
Tuesday, October 14, 2008Posted by Altoid at 5:18 PM
Labels: Life's like that
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 mint(s) of wisdom:
how true. I think a lot of us would be insane were it not for the kindness of the people around us and strangers who light us up with random acts of kindness and caring.
I will be on the look out for a similar experience - walks I could handle but all they seem to have here are marathon runs. :)
Wow!
and it is true too! Usha puts it the best way, I can think :)
and Usha ji, u can walk in a marathon too :) but it will look awkward to be the last :( **sigh! [pun intended]
:) goodie emsie!
Usha : strangers do things for u as well-a? too mech!
:P
Post a Comment