The master of soul

Saturday, February 16, 2008

This weekend I was watching the latest episode of Sa Re Ga Ma- Lil Champs. The theme was "Classically Mild". What has been Bhaavageethe in Kannada music for a long time. That perfect hybrid of classical music simplified for the masses. It also ties into Sonu Nigam's latest classical debut album of the same name. One of the participants sang "Laaga Chunari mein daag", that masterpiece rendition by Manna Dey, Raag Bhairav.

For as long as I can remember, I have had the Golden Collection of Manna Dey in either cassette or CD format. It has featured in my all-time favorite music collection, that which I have transported across three countries and many states in the US. If I could laminate these for posterity, I would. Manna Dey has reigned supreme as the master of soul. A genre where very few have ventured, much less : been proficient in.

Due credit also needs to go to the master lyricists during the era that enabled Manna Dey to vocalize that which they have penned.

"Kori chunariya aatma mori mail hai maaya jaal
Woh duniya more baabul ka ghar,
Ye duniya sasuraal"
Or the haunting melody from Kabuliwala "Aye mere pyaare watan.."
"Tere daaman se jo aaye, un hawaaon ko salaam
choom loo main us zubaan ko jis pe aaye tera naam
sab se pyaari subah teri, sab se rangeen teri shaam"
And "Poocho na kaise maine.."
"Ik pal jaise, ik yug beetha
Yug beete mohe neend na aaye
Poochho na kaise..."
Evergreen "Sur na saje.."
"Sangeet man ko pankh lagae
Geeton mein rimjhim ras barsae
Svar ki sadhana
Parameshvar ki
Sur Na Saje ..."
And finally my all-time favorite "Tu pyaar ka saagar hai.."
"Ghaayal mann ka paagal panchhi
Udne ko beqaraar
Pankh hai komal, aankh hai dhundli
Jaana hai saagar paar
Ab tu hi isse samjha
Raah bhoole the kahan se hum"
'Aye meri zohr jabeen' from Waqt, or 'Kaun aaya mere mann ke dwaare' are all timeless melodies, lilting, soothing and chockful of meaning.

To end, no writeup about Manna Dey can be complete without this beautiful song :




And the night shall be filled with music,
And the cares that infest the day
Shall fold their tents like the Arabs
And as silently steal away.
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, The Day Is Done

4 mint(s) of wisdom:

By Deepa and Supriya said...

ood the master of soul indeed..i am off to you tube now :)

and loved the bokeh with the icicles in your previous post!

Serendipity said...

Oh I remember those cassettes so well :) , in fact you were the reason I got to learn so much about old hindi songs , do u also remember the Binaca Geet Mala song collection :)..Ameen Sayani :)

Anonymous said...

Altoid, I simply,simply have to say this again. You are a girl after my own heart (like I said on the Bhel post) - Bhel and the soulful songs of Manna De.

Incidentally isnt the song "Meri jaan, mujhe Jaan na kaho meri Jaan" also from Anubhav? A Geeta Dutt number - I always adored Ms Dutt.

Altoid, I hope we get to meet soon :)

Love,
Scarlett

Altoid said...

Orchid : Thanks :)

Seren : Yes I do remember tht cassette.

Scarlett : Insha allah! We will. We have to! Yes that song is from Anubhav as well. Geeta Dutt is another of my favorites :-).