Halloween has come and gone and I witnessed a strange carnage of an innocent bowl of candies that I had left outside my door, while I went on my daily weekday gym class ritual. Having felt bad for the kids that would visit while I'd be gone, I left a pumpkin bowl, full of candies- let no kid go without some- was my surmise. And when I returned- I saw the said pumpkin bowl lying woefully in the driveway, the candies all swept and savored(I assume). All said and done, I did get to see some cute costumes- I even saw a neighbor dad dressed up as a monkey paired with his 4 yr old daughter's banana costume. Really endearing- their monkey and banana act.
My calendar reminder tells me that I have about 18 days before I go home. Yes, its been a fairly long time since I've gone home. This trip, like every trip, is going to be different, but a lot is probably going to be the same. Every time I go, I realize my hometown has changed quite a lot, still some things have never changed. This time I will be better prepared to deal with the dust allergy that invades my being and hampers all my plans of binging on street food, traveling- all and sundry. I cant believe I fall sick when I visit my own hometown. One of life's bigger ironies.
I am reading Indu Sundaresan's sequel to 'The twentieth wife'- 'The feast of roses'. And I am hooked, to say the least. It is getting very cumbersome to put aside the reading for mundane daily chores like sleep and gym and cooking and work. And this hasn't happened to me in a long time- this wish to endlessly curl up on the couch with a book. And a part of me wants to take it in small doses, to relish the moment and spread it longer. But I know me and I will finish it soon enough and complain about not having anything else to read- for the next couple of months!
Halloween, Homecoming and Historical fiction
Thursday, November 01, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 mint(s) of wisdom:
you changed your look! anyways.. well said about the book reading part. you can't read it fast enough, yet want to savor every moment.
have a great trip back home. Hope you will blog from time to time!
Post a Comment