Recently I had been to a book fair(not too good a one, I must admit) and sheer disgust at the thought of coming away empty handed prompted me to pick up an old-time classic by Oscar Wilde- The Picture of Dorian Gray. I have read this book quite a few years ago, as part of the classics-must-read series.
A re-read was definitely worth it and leads me to affirm my belief that "old is gold". For most part, I believe I am a sentimentalist. While I like good stories, modern day thrillers, humorists, wit and the like, my true love is always for these classics that brim with melifluous language and detailed descriptions that forces the reader to imagine and dream of Victorian period settings and grandiose surroundings. Its such an easy trapdoor to escape into utopia where the characters in the novel surround one with mystery, romance and wonder.
Talking about this novel, while I dont wish to add spoilers for those that have not read this book, I do have to mention, its not your everyday story. For the novice reader, this might as well be macabre to some extent. But the concept of narcissism has been beautifully portrayed and one finds it hard to not empathizee with the central character.
Interestingly, while I was browsing what wiki had to say about this book, I found this very interesting list. I am still wading through it to see how many I've checked out and how many need to be added to my reading cart.
Self-prediction for the day : A lot of reading is in the charts!
A case of the classics
Wednesday, December 13, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 mint(s) of wisdom:
Post a Comment