When I first came to the US, right across from where I rented a studio apartment, was a gigantic mall. Well, at least to me, it was. While window shopping in this sea of consumerism, there was one dept store that I would invariably stop at and always find something at a throwaway price. This store, while it wasnt the most popular, it was a place that worked for me. I'd find the right sizes and the designs- all the time. A year later, when I'd since moved out of the area, I learnt that Macy's had bought it out and converted it into a regular "Macy's" store.
Since I've been in VA, I had found a similar haven in Hechts again at a mall right across from where I live. While all and sundry would rave about the JCP's and the Sears and the Nordstroms, Hechts it was for me. I would always find the cutest, the most beautiful, cheapest deals each time, every time. And that in itself was incentive to be mall-bound. Added to the fact, I believed I was getting my dose of exercise along with the excitment of finding those monetarily and girlishly satisfying deals to ensure that a trip was not an exercise in futility. Hechts(for those that are donning a deer-upon-headlights look upon hearing the name), is a local dept store chain much like JCP or Sears but predominantly in the DC/VA/MD areas.
Recently, Macy's acquired Hechts(here we go again.) and as is customary, all Hechts stores have now been renovated to the standard Macy's format. While claims were/are made that Macy's will continue to support Hechts' legacy brands, I find little solace or comfort to pledge my continued patronage. Shopping in the store isnt the same any more, its another Macy's. While this article explains(in financial terms) the reason for a buyout becoming inevitable, I dont feel assured. While the concept of "tried and tested" works from a business standpoint, as a consumer, sometimes I crave for the exclusivity- an affordable one at that. While small mom-and-pop stores are quaint and charming in themselves, I find one craves for a "department store" that, while it offers myriad choices, is also exclusive to some extent.
Ah, well, in an utopian world, I am sure one can take customization and personal choices to any length and not reach the end of it, one's entitled to such benefits in such a world. For now, retailers appear to have acquired the magic mantra to flourish. I am also sure that I would be amongst a minority that pledges allegiance to Hechts or to one dept store. But a number I am and I've heard every number counts :).
The business of buyouts
Thursday, November 09, 2006Posted by Altoid at 3:11 PM
Labels: Everything in between
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 mint(s) of wisdom:
Post a Comment